HATCH CHILE TORTILLA SOUP
Author: Megan Goddard
- 12oz jar Hatch Valley Salsa from Trader Joe’s
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 can black beans – drained and rinsed.
- 1 red bell pepper – diced.
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ½ yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup uncooked red rice (or any rice is fine!)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Fresh juice from 1 lime
- 8 tortillas
- 4 Tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients except tortillas and oil in an instant pot on the soup setting for 30 minutes. Easy!
*An alternative option is to use a crock pot!
While the soup is cooking…
- Cut 10 corn tortillas into skinny strips with a knife.
- In a skillet heated with avocado oil or coconut oil, throw in a small amount of strips in at time — You’ll probably have to do a few rounds.
- Toss around for a couple minutes and allow strips to dry on a paper towel.
GARNISH with a dallop of plain yogurt (It’s basically like a probiotic sour cream or skip the yogurt for vegan!), tortilla strips, cilantro, a lime wedge, and avocado.